*Cues Music* It’s my birthday shawty!!! Ayeeee!!! It’s my birthday shawty!!
Well at least it was my birthday over the weekend. The latter just sounded better .
Happy belated birthday to me. God knows I am truly grateful to see another year. This is not my usual weekly blog posts, but I wanted to drop by and share some love. Thank you to everyone that reads these blogs and have continued to support me on this crazy journey. I am forever grateful to you. In honor of me turning the big 31, I’ve also put together an e-book, “God Still Speaks” absolutely free. It’s better to give than to receive right. You can download it here.
Of course, I would not be Gilberta if I did not take this time to drop a few nuggets and words of wisdom. I’m sorry y’all! I just love sharing with all of you. I’m going to drop 30 lessons for every year that has passed.
Here are some life lessons I wish I knew in my 20’s:
- Life is purposeless and pointless without Jesus. No matter what anyone says, only Jesus can fill the void in your heart.
- Forgive quickly. The more hurt you keep stored up in your heart, the more you will become like those who hurt you.
- Don’t quit just because it gets hard. There is so much beauty in persevering.
- Be loyal to God’s purpose for your life. There are people that need you.
- You cannot change anyone. Only Jesus Christ can do that.
- You are different for a reason. Embrace It.
- Don’t be afraid to stand up for what you believe, even if you have to stand alone.
- Spend time with God. Whether you do this in your bathroom, in groups, or while washing the dishes. It does not matter as long as you make God a priority in your heart.
- Take care of yourself physically, emotionally, and mentally. The healthier you are, the better you are able to do what God has called you to do.
- Give people grace and be patient. We are all imperfect and more than likely doing the best that we can.
- Your comfort zone will choke you. Don’t be afraid to be uncomfortable.
- Be angry and sin not. A.K.A Stop popping off sis.
- Enjoy the little moments. The walk on the beach. The joke that makes you laugh until you cry. Indulging in your favorite food. You will need to hold onto that in tough seasons.
- Life is not a fairytale. I repeat, life is not a fairy tale.
- Stop stressing. God will take care of you.
- Every season of your life is connected. Be faithful and content in this season. The ease or difficulty of the next season depends on what you learn now.
- Don’t be afraid to advance and develop yourself. There is so much greatness in you.
- Do not box yourself. You are allowed to be intellectual, creative, and filled with the Spirit of God all at the same time. You do not have to choose one.
- Do not compare your life to anyone else’s life. Water your own grass.
- Perfection is overrated not to mention impossible.
- Surround yourself with people that challenge you, not just flatter you. They will help you to grow.
- Nothing you can ever do will diminish your value in God’s eyes.
- Don’t be afraid to fail.
- Faith without works is dead. You can shout all day, but if you do not get up and actually do what God says, you will be in this same spot next year.
- Be consistent. Every time you show up, Every time you do the right thing when no one is looking, Every time you keep your eyes on Jesus…. You are quietly bulldozing through unseen walls that seek to cage you.
- Love will always be the answer. No matter what they have done, love them anyway.
- Trust that God will fight for you. Especially when you cannot fight for yourself.
- None of your pain is wasted with God. Everything you have gone through will work together for your good.
- Trust God with your whole heart.
- Hold on to God’s promises and never let them go.
This list has me feeling me teary eyed so I’m definitely stopping here. While I may not have embraced all of these lessons in my 20’s, it is my hope that by sharing this, someone else is encouraged. Well that’s it for me. I love you all!
P.S. Wait! Be sure to grab your free e-book here.
Until Next Time,
Be Strong, Be Courageous, Serve God Wholeheartedly
A Newly 31 Berta